The Foundation Stage covers two years of education in Nursery and Reception.
It seeks to provide a secure foundation; quality and consistency; partnership working and equality of opportunities.
There are 7 areas of learning:
Three Prime Areas:
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Four specific areas of learning:
- Understanding of the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Each area of learning is implemented through planned, purposeful play and a mix of adult led and child initiated activities.
Each Early Years learning environment is organised into different provision areas:
- Role Play
- Sand and water
- Small World
- Malleable Play
Within these areas there are:
- Focused activities: Differentiated activities led by a Teacher or TA to teach and assess learning
- Independent activities: Children independently revisit previously led activities
- Enhanced activities: ecial activities linked to the current theme
Throughout the Foundation Stage there is a move towards more adult led learning in preparation for more formal learning sessions in Year 1 and beyond.